Hey Jen, found your blog when I decided it was high-time I do some ward-stalking . . . the charter school topic is a huge one, which I have a lot of thoughts about. Short answer: Could be awesome or it could be terrible. Long answer is of course what would help you out . . . We should chat. Or I should type my thoughts for the many folks who ask me this. Or just chat.
Big con: I heard the charter school is primarily hiring teachers fresh out of school. Personally, if I were to send my child to this school, I'd want it to have experienced teachers. But that's just me.
Hmmm I've been wondering the same thing.... But people I've talked to are pro Charter School but have made me feel like Will wouldn't get in because he doesn't have older siblings.... I dunno how I feel about it.... Oh and Miss Harms (his teacher) is fresh out of school and she is AMAZING... But she does have Miss Quist as a mentor...
Cons - cost of uniforms, possible inexperienced teachers, have to provide own transportation, no field trips, neighbor kids going to different school. I'm sure there are more, I just can't think of any right now.
Pros - students can work at their own pace at their level (i.e. -if they are advanced, they can learn that subject with the upper grades; if they are behind, there will be tutors to help catch them up), the last hour of the day will be devoted to extracurricular activities, poor teachers can be removed easier, parents may be more involved, parents have more voice, teaching through the 8th grade (no switching for junior high), better curriculum (especially their new math program starting with the Kindergarten).
I have my kids registered and am hoping to get in. I realize that the first couple of years are probably going to be difficult since everything will be new and getting situated. I'm willing to deal with it.
Call me and I'll tell you anything else you want to know.
BTW - I ran across Bryan Fairbanks' blog today - Here's the address: http://bfairbanks.blogspot.com/
5 comments:
Hey Jen, found your blog when I decided it was high-time I do some ward-stalking . . . the charter school topic is a huge one, which I have a lot of thoughts about. Short answer: Could be awesome or it could be terrible. Long answer is of course what would help you out . . . We should chat. Or I should type my thoughts for the many folks who ask me this. Or just chat.
BTW - Um, the S is for Syphus, sorry . . .
Big con: I heard the charter school is primarily hiring teachers fresh out of school. Personally, if I were to send my child to this school, I'd want it to have experienced teachers. But that's just me.
Hmmm I've been wondering the same thing.... But people I've talked to are pro Charter School but have made me feel like Will wouldn't get in because he doesn't have older siblings.... I dunno how I feel about it.... Oh and Miss Harms (his teacher) is fresh out of school and she is AMAZING... But she does have Miss Quist as a mentor...
I have some pros and cons for you -
Cons - cost of uniforms, possible inexperienced teachers, have to provide own transportation, no field trips, neighbor kids going to different school. I'm sure there are more, I just can't think of any right now.
Pros - students can work at their own pace at their level (i.e. -if they are advanced, they can learn that subject with the upper grades; if they are behind, there will be tutors to help catch them up), the last hour of the day will be devoted to extracurricular activities, poor teachers can be removed easier, parents may be more involved, parents have more voice, teaching through the 8th grade (no switching for junior high), better curriculum (especially their new math program starting with the Kindergarten).
I have my kids registered and am hoping to get in. I realize that the first couple of years are probably going to be difficult since everything will be new and getting situated. I'm willing to deal with it.
Call me and I'll tell you anything else you want to know.
BTW - I ran across Bryan Fairbanks' blog today - Here's the address: http://bfairbanks.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment