Saturday, May 31, 2008

My first true marathon post!

What a week!

I'll start off with SATURDAY.
Saturday was fabulous! Chad and I got the girls up super early and drug them in their PJ's to Grandma and Grandpa's house so we could go to the temple. We had a very nice time and the girls got to enjoy a breakfast of Mickey Mouse shaped french toast. Grandpa and Grandma went WAY out of their way to accommodate my little girls. I never did ask if he cut each piece by hand . . . hopefully he used a cookie cutter!
After the temple, we made the trek down to the Provo City Cemetery to decorate the graves with flowers for Memorial Day. My sweet Grandma who passed away recently made it a point to do this EVERY year and while Chad and I were living in Provo, we were usually the designated chauffeur's and decorators. Grandma would tell us about each family member buried there (there are a lot of 'em!) and her memory flood-gates would burst wide open. I wish I would have listened more carefully or taken a tape recorder with me!
We saw her grave for the first time since the funeral and I had a more emotional time than I expected to have. Kylie and Taylor were also both struggling with their feelings while we were there, but it was again another chance for us to teach them about the plan of our Heavenly Father.
This next part is for the family history journal . . . just so I can remember . . . Grandma is buried next to my Grandpa LeGrande Harris, who died before my parents got married, so I never met him. Also buried around them are my Aunt and Uncle's daughter who died as an infant, Ann. We saw the graves of my Great Grandparents on my Dad's side and also on my Mom's. I am a direct descendant of Hyrum Smith through his daughter Martha Ann. She is also buried in the Provo City Cemetery and we were able to put flowers on her grave as well.
Monday was Memorial Day and it was rainy! Although Chad was very disappointed because he couldn't go golfing, it was nice to stay home and just relax. Especially since Chad was starting to feel a little on the sick side. My family came over for a BBQ that night - luckily the weather started to clear up - and we had a few rounds of DanceDanceRevolution competition. Nothing like a little DDR to get your heart racing and wear out the kids! :) By the time I got to bed that night, Chad had already been in bed for about 2 1/2 hours, had a fever of 102 and was breathing super fast. To make a long story short, he was unoffically diagnosed with pneumonia on Tuesday morning and offically diagnosed with pneumonia on Wednesday after a short visit to the hospital for some bloodwork and a chest X Ray. Despite all the antibiotics he was given on Tuesday, he was still struggling to breathe and so Thursday we arranged to get him hooked up to an oxygen machine at night while he sleeps.
Friday was another trip to Sandy to my mom and dad's house because Chad had a little cabin fever. He needed some new scenery, so we hung out at their house for a few hours and they made us dinner. Aren't parents the best???!!! They even gave up some tickets they had to go to Rocky Mountain Raceway so they could be home to help entertain Chad!
And now here I am, Saturday night, on the computer. Chad is out doing yard work because he's feeling better. I am praying he's not going to over-do it and that he'll still be getting better tomorrow instead of getting worse.
This morning we went out to the airport in Tooele to meet my brother, Bryan. He's offically got some fancy pilot's license and passed all his tests, so he can now apply for jobs with the airlines flying the huge planes!!! To celebrate, he took us all flying in a four-seat plane. We had to take turns obviously, but we all got to fly with him. And this time it was my mom's turn to overcome her fears! She's flown before, but the little planes scare her, just like me. (The only reason I wasn't nervous was because of the helicopter ride a few weeks ago!) It's just weird to think that my little brother can fly an airplane.
Anyway, after the airport we went to Taylor's pre-school graduation. This is more of an end of the year party because she's not really graduating from pre-school. She has one more year before Kindergarten.
This week has helped me remember how truly grateful I am for family. I am so glad that I have such a good family - on my side and on Chad's. They really are there for us when we need them!

6 comments:

Bry and Meliss said...

Wow! What a week! I'm glad Chad is feeling better, I saw him at church today and wouldn't have even thought he was sick. What a trooper! My little brother flies planes too, but he only has his private license, so he can only fly him and one other person. But that's his dream to fly the commercial planes...how cool!

Ashlee Martin Smith said...

How fun!!! The plane ride looks like a blast! Glad Chad's feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Jen,
What an Amazing weekend for you and your family! I am glad Cahd is feeling better. I bet it's kinda wierd for him to be the patient and not the doctor...
Thanks for sharing your feelings about your grandma. What a choice relationship. I never had that with any of my grandparents. I am making sure my children know their grandparents.
You are such a great woman. I look up to you.
~Lisa Wilson

Case said...

TOMORROW!!!!!!

Sherrie said...

See you soon!

Sherrie said...

Happy Birthay Kylie!! Today is the birthday of really nice,cute girls...don't you agree? Hope you had a super fun trip and I can't wait to hear about it.